Thursday, September 18, 2008

--we drilled addition and subtraction flashcards; reviewed number families; reviewed families that add up to 10 and "built" up to 10 with MathUSee blocks; also subtracted "teen" numbers using blocks to show how to subtract down to 10 and then more, from ten, to find the answer; reviewed how you add up to check subtraction
(I was surprised at how shaky the boys were on these basics. So glad we're spending the time getting this down.)

--we discussed the writing they've been doing and how they could make their paragraphs sound better. I gave them a start: I went shopping with my daughter yesterday. We brainstormed ways we could rewrite that sentence to make it more interesting and creative--decided DETAILS added a lot.
--I taught them metaphors and similes and we practiced recognizing the difference and making up their own.
--each rewrote a paragraph to make it more interesting, including at least one simile or metaphor

My Sword (SD's first effort)
(he was told to write a descriptive paragraph about his new sword)

Ever since I saw Narnia I became glued to Peter's sword. So I looked up the sword on the internet and decided I should order it. The sword has a maroon and gold sheath that came with it. The handle has the same colors. The actual blade is stainless steel, which makes it twice as good.

(I told him this started out well, but got boring and has a wimpy ending.)

My Sword (SD's next effort)

Ever since I saw the movie Narnia I became glued to the sword Peter used. So I looked up the sword on the internet and decided I should order it. So I did. The sheath is red as blood. But the actual blade is as shiny as a newly minted coin. Whenever I grasp my sword I feel like a royal knight in Aslan's army.

(I told him this was much better, except for the part about ordering it. The reality was much more interesting, so we re-worked that section together:)

My Sword (final draft)

Ever since I saw the Narnia movies, I became glued to the sword Peter used. So I looked up the sword on the internet. After looking at several websites and dozens of other swords, Peter's sword still stood out to me. The price was within my range, so I decided to buy it.

When the Fed Ex man rang the doorbell, I grabbed the box and yelled "Thank you!" I opened it as soon as I shut the door, and I held my sword for the first time. It looked just as I imagined. The sheath is red as blood. But the actual blade is as shiny as a newly minted coin. Whenever I grasp my sword, I feel like a royal knight in Aslan's army.

Castle in the Attic (Mr. D's first effort)

I think almost every boy would like this book. What I liked about it is that there is knights and dragons. Its in the mideval times. And that's why I like it. (uncorrected)

Castle in the Attic (Mr. D's rewrite)

A few days ago, I finished the most amazing book called Castle in the Attic. What is really cool about it is that it is in the medieval times! It has magical dragons and evil wizards and castles and knights with sparkling armor and royal kings. It's all about an ordinary boy who turns into a great hero and saves a kingdom from an evil wizard. Those are some reasons why I think almost every boy would like this book!

(We discussed the need for a comma and an apostrophe, but otherwise, it's all his work.)

--SD practiced guitar
--both boys practiced piano (Mom helped Mr. D learn new song)
--SD read Harry Potter
--Mr. D started Battle for the Castle
--Mom worked with Chicklet to learn the words to "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown" for her theater class. (Man, this is a hard melody for me to retain, let alone a six-year-old!)
--Chicklet practiced along with a YouTube video
--we all put together a floor puzzle of the USA and located states where we know someone lives; how far it would take to drive there; etc.
--Chicklet and B3 worked puzzles, colored, played
--Mr. D read pop-up books to C & B (Big Red Fire Truck, Little Red Plane, Little Orange Submarine)
--B3 and Chicklet watched Eyewitness: Dinosaur one day last week and I forgot to write it down then...
--We read two chapters of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

No comments: